Sunday, September 4, 2011

UVA - W&M

Well as I said in my last post, I went to the UVA - W&M football game yesterday and as I thought, it was AWESOME!! Unfortunately, it was really a blowout: 40-3 UVA. I loved going to my first live game, the whole thing from the food (meaning the tailgate before the game), to the commentary by the people we went with, and the football of course. One thing I didn't get, if UVA is the Cavaliers, then why are they the Wahoos? If anyone knows, please inform me with a comment, 'cause I don't know but want to. The fans at the game were amazing, funny, and rowdy, but sorry, hockey fans got you beat. Before I went to the game I really wasn't into the whole college sports world, I just knew who the teams were. Now, just like when "I came to hockey" as one of my friends put it, I went in person and loved it. I really wasn't surprised as I already loved football, now I just have another sport to follow. No big deal. To wrap up since I rambled for most of this, UVA won over W&M and it was super sweet to go to the game.


The preseason in the NFL is over and the regular season starts on Thursday. I caaan't waaait!!!! (I'm just a little excited, if you couldn't tell) The Skin's have finally pulled their team together, meaning that they have good players that all work together well (I still don't know the final roster yet); New England has gathered a cast of characters that (crossing my fingers here) will work like a well oiled machine; and last but not least, Pittsburgh, from my view two states south, they look good. Now they only have to get that steel curtain to start working again.

In the baseball world: Steven Strasbourg is heading back to the major leagues. He started in his final minor league game this past week. He looked good in the highlights I saw, to be honest he looked the same before he had Tommy-John surgery.

This is the best time of year, (well almost) fall's coming, football's starting, and how could I forget, hockey's coming.

3 comments:

  1. IF you had read the program, you would know the answer to the Cavalier/Wahoo question. :) According to it, Cavalier is usually used by the media and Wahoos/Hoos is used by students and fans.

    "Legend has it that Washington & Lee baseball fans dubbed the Virginia players "Wahoos" during the fiercely contested rivalry...By 1940, "Wahoos" was in general use around Grounds to denote University students...The abbreviated "Hoos" sprang up later in student newspapers..." You can read the rest of it in the program on pg. 74.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's "Steel Curtain" in Pittsburgh; the Iron Curtain has a more historical meaning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Changed it to "steel", we don't live in the USSR.

    ReplyDelete