Saturday, July 16, 2011

Biking, Mud, and Teeth


Let me just say that I’m sorry that it’s been a week since I last posted. I just got back from a 187 mile bike ride on the C&O Canal in four days. I’m the type of person who doesn’t care if mud gets on me, which is a good thing when it rains the day before we start and rains on the second day while we are on the trail. By the time we reached DC I looked like I had gone through a war zone. But back to sports:

Let’s start with hockey. Varlamov has broken his silence about his being traded to Colorado. He said if he hadn’t been traded to Colorado he would have gone back to the KHL. He also has said some very good things about Washington fans, “When I got out on the ice, saw the full stands and heard the “Varly” chant, I really felt their love. Washington fans are among the best in the NHL.”*
The Caps signed center Christian Hanson, 25, formally of the Toronto Maple Leafs and he will most likely get a spot on the Hershey roster.
They have re-signed Karl Alzner for two years, worth $2.57 million.
The Caps development camp was held this week, a good chance for some to see future stars of DC hockey. One thing about our kind of hockey is even in camp we play rough. Ten minutes into day one of camp, Swedish player, Mattias Sjogren lost a tooth when he was hit in the mouth by a goalie stick. Oops.

In the soccer world, the USA’s women team is showing us all that they can do it. They will play Japan in the Championship for the World Cup. We shocked Brazil and everyone before them.  Having a good goalie has been a great thing for them. If they play this way tomorrow then they should have no problem. 

Baseball now:  well I don’t think there’s must to say, but the fact that the Nat’s aren’t doing too bad; the Pirates are doing ok as well; and the Red Sox are being just as good as they usually are.

Off to camp I go, see you in a week.

*Quote from Washington Post Sports, 7/11/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment